Michelle Steigerwald began her legal career as a civil litigator in 1998 where she gained considerable discovery, alternative dispute resolution and courtroom experience representing clients in high-stake, multi-party lawsuits. Michelle transitioned exclusively to family law in 2007 and represents clients in all aspects of dissolution, parentage and post-judgment actions, including complex financial, business valuation and property division, child and spousal support, and custody matters, as well as drafting and reviewing premarital and post-marital agreements.
With over twenty years of experience, Michelle is a skilled negotiator and advocate. She successfully settles the majority of cases but possesses the skill and expertise to take a case to trial when necessary. In addition to being a seasoned litigator, Michelle regularly serves as consulting counsel for clients seeking to resolve their family law matter through the mediation process.
Michelle volunteers as Attorney of the Day for the San Francisco County Unified Family Court law and motion calendar and the One Day Divorce Program in San Mateo County Superior Court. On her days off, she enjoys hiking the trails with her family or taking day trips to fun locations.
Awards and Distinctions
- American Jurisprudence Award for Torts
- SuperLawyers 2021, 2022
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- San Francisco’s Superior Court’s Settlement Master Panel
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Family Law
- Bar Association of San Mateo, Family Law
- Bar Association of Marin – Family Law Section
- California Bar Association
- Golden Gate University, J.D. 1998
- Northern Arizona University, B.A., Psychology, 1992